How to Market CBD Products & Sell CBD Oils
When it comes to cannabis marketing tips it can be tough to find actionable CBD marketing tips about how to market CBD products like oils and capsules.
A recent survey on the usage of CBD identified that the most common reasons people used CBD were to treat insomnia, depression, anxiety
In fact, CBD was the preferred remedy by 42% of the respondents over traditional medication like Tylenol and Advil as well as prescription drugs like Vicodin.
Currently, 47 states allow some form of CBD sales. But that may all change very, very soon, if not already!
In December 2018, the United States legalized Hemp by signing the $867 billion farm bill and making it law.
Apparently, CBD can be extracted from hemp as well as it can be extracted from the cannabis plant.
Therefore, with hemp becoming legal, one has to wonder if CBD advertising will follow suit. Or at the very least, will Facebook and Google ease up on CBD advertising on social media platforms and search engines?
3 Tips To Market Your CBD Products Online
The following 3 tips for marketing and promoting CBD products include both organic and paid advertising strategies.
1. Drive CBD Marketing With Content Marketing
Content marketing is an effective digital marketing tactic to use for marketing CBD products because your target market is actively searching for information about the health benefits of CBD.
Content marketing is defined as a strategic marketing approach focused on creating and distributing valuable, relevant, and consistent content to attract and retain a clearly defined audience — and, ultimately, to drive profitable customer action.
So instead of pitching your CBD oils and other products, you are providing truly relevant and useful CBD related content to potential customers to help them understand how your product can help them solve their health issues.
Content marketing can help you sell more CBD on Facebook and Google but your CBD marketing team will need to produce useful information that answers the questions your target has about the benefits of CBD.
If your content is effectively optimized for search engines, it will show up on page 1 for popular CBD related search queries, and start to drive a ton of highly-qualified, organic traffic (read: potential customers) from Google and Bing.
Remember, this is free website traffic we’re talking about because we’re dealing with the organic search listings, not paid PPC Google Ads, which are also effective but require a media budget.
Content Marketing Examples to Sell CBD Online:
CBD Related Blog Content:
- SEO optimized blog content that is regularly published on your website can help you rank on page 1 for popular search terms related to CBD.
- Your blog content writing strategy begins with comprehensive keyword research.
- Keyword research reveals the CBD related questions and queries that your potential customers are typing into Google.
- Your goal is to show that you are the CBD experts by creating high-quality content that answers all of these search queries.
- The result is that you begin to increase your website’s relevance, authority, and trustworthiness – the three most important search engine ranking factors.
Infographics Illustrating Benefits of CBD:
- Infographics can be described
asa visually compelling communication medium that done well can communicate complex data in a visual format that is potentially viral.
- Infographics can be useful to help sell CBD products online because they allow a cannabis brand to present CBD information in an effective manner, visually.
- Making CBD easier for your prospects and customers to understand will help establish your brand as CBD experts which helps you sell more CBD oil online.
The key thing to remember with using content marketing to promote CBD is that your content needs a CBD specific SEO strategy in order to be found online on page 1 of a Google search.
We discuss how to use SEO to sell CBD products online in the next tip.
2. Use SEO To Target CBD Users
SEO, or search engine optimization, is another effective way to market CBD products without advertising.
SEO is the practice of increasing the quantity and quality of traffic to your website through organic search engine results.
SEO should be looked at as a long term CBD marketing strategy, not a short term solution.
A long-term marketing tactic is important if you want to sell your CBD products online for the long term, right? SEO is that tactic.
People are excited and curious about CBD and the related consumer products that have already started to appear in the worldwide market. This means that people are looking for information to educate themselves on how to use CBD.
You need these people to find you on social media and even more importantly, you need these people to find your website so they can make a purchase.
SEO helps you attract the right quality of potential CBD customers to your website. You want to drive the right people, those who want to buy CBD products, not just any people.
For example, you can attract all the visitors in the world, but if they’re coming to your site because Google tells them you’re a resource for Apple computers when really you’re a business that sells CBD online, that is not quality traffic.
How to Start an SEO Strategy on an Existing CBD Website
- If you have an existing website and you’re not showing up in relevant CBD search phrases like, “buy
cbdonline”, “where to buy cbdonline”, “buy CBD oil in [cityname]”, “buy cbdoil online”, or any other popular search phrase, your site likely needs a new or an initial SEO and keyword strategy implemented asap.
- We always recommend starting with a comprehensive marketing and SEO audit of your current website before beginning any new SEO and keyword strategy.
- Our SEO Audit is an extensive 28-point check of your site’s current SEO optimization, conversion rate optimization, and the user experience.
- We deliver a detailed report outlining any errors or omissions on your website as well as list our top 5 recommendations focused on the profitability of your CBD website.
- Our goal is to diagnose your website and identify where we can improve your site’s SEO and search engine rankings to help you sell more CBD online.
How to Start a New SEO Strategy on a New Website
- If you want to sell CBD online successfully, you’ll need to ensure your website is easily found online for searches related to buying CBD online.
- Therefore, we believe an effective SEO and keyword strategy should be baked in from the start – during development and pre-website live launch.
- The keyword strategy can be incorporated for all the on-page, consumer-facing content, as well as the back end metadata, Google facing code.
3. Use Google PPC Advertising to Advertise CBD Online
Google PPC advertising is an essential CBD marketing tactic to use when targeting CBD users who are ready to buy CBD oil or other CBD products online or in retail.
These potential customers have already been educated on the benefits of CBD and have already evaluated your CBD products as well as some of your competitor’s.
Since Google is primarily search-based, and search is primarily based on a person’s specific intent, potential CBD customers will use certain semantically related keyword search phrases to find CBD products.
Google Ads allows your website and marketing info to show up at the top of these relevant and profitable search listings.
Google PPC ads allow you to reach a potential CBD customer with your offer for CBD oil at the right place, at the right time, and on the right device. Likely their smartphone.
For an example of how we increased sales for a local business by 30% in 30-days using Google Ads, see the case study here.
How To Advertise CBD With Google Ads
So the question becomes can you advertise CBD on Google.
According to HempIndustryDaily.com, the DEA has taken some CBD off Schedule 1 with FDA approval.
With the recent passing of the Farm Bill in the USA making Hemp legal, any CBD coming from the Hemp plant, that has less than 0.3 percent THC, CBD is essentially legal.
I’d recommend any CBD dispensary, online or retail or both, to seriously consider Google Ads to market and promote your CBD products.
We’ve actually been able to advertise medical cannabis with Facebook Ads, Google Ads, and YouTube Pre-roll advertising.
To read how we successfully increased ROI over a two year period for one of our clients, read our 2017 case study, how to advertise medical cannabis on Facebook, and our 2018 case study, how to advertise medical cannabis on Facebook and Google.
If you’re interested in how we advertise cannabis relates services on Google Ads PPC, please see the case study here.
How to Market Your CBD Business
Ok, so now you have 3 proven CBD marketing tips to help you market your CBD products online, so what’s next?
If you start with the CBD marketing ideas above you’ll be in good shape for the long-term, as well as the short-term if you decide to promote your CBD products with Google Ads.
If you want to learn more about why you need SEO for your CBD dispensary or how to effectively choose the right SEO agency for your CBD business, download our free guide!
Please start the conversation using the form below and let us know about your CBD business and current marketing challenges. Or contact us here.
We’re ready to help you grow!